On Friday 20 June, many Barchester homes will be taking guests around the world to celebrate National Care Home Open Day 2014.
Visitors, residents and staff will get the opportunity to travel to a variety of countries without having to leave a care home or its grounds. Many homes are organising a raft of â€˜Around the Worldâ€™ activities and are cooking up some culinary delights from different global destinations.
This free event is open to the public and is a chance for those living at Barchester homes to get to meet their neighbours while offering anyone interested in visiting a home, a chance to find out what life is really like there.
National Care Home Open Day was launched last year and is celebrated by lots of care homes across the country. Gloria Hunniford, a keen supporter of issues that affect older people, is this yearâ€™s National Care Home Open Day Ambassador.
Dr Pete Calveley, CEO of Barchester Healthcare, said: â€œOur care homes often host events that invite in members of the local community year-round and National Care Home Open Day was created to challenge any stigma attached to care settings, inviting in those unfamiliar with how a care home operates. I am very proud of the work of our staff and engaged by the lives of the people living throughout our homes and will be spending the day visiting several planned events.â€
Staff will be on hand to speak with anyone wanting to find out more, so as well as being a great community gathering, the open day is also the perfect opportunity to learn more about the home and the care services on offer. Come and get involved in our big care celebrations and find out whatâ€™s going on at a Barchester care home near you!
Here are just some of the events happening in our homes:
- Take a trip with Harper Fields Care Home in Balsall Common, near Coventry, who will be transporting guests to Brazil, India and the British seaside with live music and activities.
- Drummond Grange in Lothian will be sweeping across the globe with games from other countries and world foods. Staff from different countries will be wearing their traditional dress.
- Lindum House in Beverley, Yorkshire will be starting the day off with activities from countries around the world and a themed food tasting for lunch. At 3pm there will be a balloon release to celebrate the day.
- For coffee lovers, Bushey House in Hertfordshire is the place to be as they will be tasting coffees from around the world. They will also host a Best of British quiz in the morning for residents and guests.
- Itâ€™s a samba carnival at Adlington Manor this National Care Home Open Day. The home will be split into two halves, one with a Portuguese theme and the other with a Brazilian theme.
For more information, please visit www.barchester.com