There is now only one week remaining to nominate your favourite pieces of media coverage around older peopleâ€™s issues.Brought to you by older peopleâ€™s charity Independent Age, and sponsored by care provider Barchester Healthcare, The Older People in the Media Awards 2014 will recognise the best media coverage concerning older peopleâ€™s issues. The awards aim to reward excellence and to encourage wider public debate about older people in society, and the issues affecting them.The deadline for nominations is midday on Monday 18 August, so be sure to have your say and cast your votes now! This yearâ€™s categories are:
1) Best factual newspaper or magazine article about older peopleâ€™s issues
2) Best factual radio programme about older peopleâ€™s issues
3) Best factual TV programme about older peopleâ€™s issues
4a) Best factual new media content (written) about older peopleâ€™s issues
4b) Best factual new media content (video) about older peopleâ€™s issues
5) Best coverage of issues around dementia (Barchester special award)
6) Best use of photography to illustrate older peopleâ€™s issues
7) Best independent voice on older peopleâ€™s issues (Independent Age special award)
8) Best older personâ€™s character in a film, TV or radio drama (Gransnet special award, voted on by the readers of Gransnet)
9) The â€˜Thornâ€™ Award: worst example of stereotyping, factual error or misleading information in the coverage of older peopleâ€™s issues.
The awards will culminate in an overall â€˜winner of winnersâ€™, selected from the winners of the other nine categories.
Nominations must have first appeared in the media between Thursday 15 August 2013 and Thursday 14 August 2014.
Submitting nominations is easy and free. We are also happy to accept self-nominations from journalists and photographers. Nominate through the Independent Age website www.independentage.org (where you can also find further information about the awards and the full criteria for each category) or email email@example.com All winners will be announced at a special ceremony in central London on the evening of Thursday 13 November 2014.