You are here

Toxic gas 'could help stroke patients'

Toxic gas 'could help stroke patients'
15th December 2008

A gas which is usually deemed toxic could help those recovering from a stroke, according to the latest research.

Studies by the John Hopkins group found carbon monoxide (CO) may help prevent brain damage in sufferers, it may interest workers in care homes to learn.

The research found mice who had inhaled a small amount of the gas displayed as much as 62.2 per cent less brain damage after an induced stroke.

Sylvain Dore, an associate professor in the department of anesthesiology and critical care medicine at Johns Hopkins University school of medicine, commented: "CO is made naturally by the body and can serve a protective function under various circumstances. The idea for our experiment was to see if external CO could have a similar effect."

According to statistics from the Stroke Association, more than 250,000 people in the UK live with disabilities which have been brought on from the effects of suffering a stroke.

Please click here to find a care home for elderly care.