You are here

Research warns against bee sting therapy

21st December 2005

Using bee venom to ease the symptoms of MS is not beneficial and does not improve quality of life for sufferers, according to a new study.

Despite the popularity of using the alternative form of treatment, researchers have called for more caution and warned that the risk of allergic reactions has been ignored.

Research conducted by Dr. Jacques De Keyser of the University Medical Centre Groningen in the Netherlands and published in the Neurology journal concluded that the therapy should not be used "unless better evidence to justify its use becomes available".

The bee venom is often injected by those without proper medical training, warned Dr De Keyser, while accounts of its success are not based on any accurate studies.

"Bee sting therapy is a form of alternative treatment that has gained a great deal of publicity and loyalty among MS patients," he explained.

"However, physicians can now, in an evidence-based manner, advise their patients with MS not to start with bee sting therapy."

Bee sting therapy was found to have no effect on the lesions associated with MS and showed no benefits with regards to feelings of fatigue or overall disability.